Tuesday, October 26, 2010

This/That: The Meadow


Siren Plaid Roll-Sleeve Henley Pullover, $98
Crafted Cropped Denim Jacket, 35 GBP
Women's Jegging - American Eagle Outfitters, $40
Steve Madden Harlem Boot, $99
Feather Drop Earring - jewellery - accessories - evans, 9 GBP
Eugenia Kim Taupe Chunky Wool Braided Knit Scarf with Tassels, 30 GBP
The Meadow - James Galvin - ISBN 9780805027037
Zapf Essentials™ Arrows Two - Fonts.com

The Meadow by James Galvin is a beautiful and complicated piece of creative non-fiction. In 100 vignettes Galvin strives to give you the sense of this place somewhere between the Colorado/Wyoming boarder that's harshness and grace define the people who struggle and live there. We just finished studying this book in my Non-Fiction class and I ended up liking this book so much more than I expected (what I expected was to like it not at all). In fact, this work has just about convinced me to change my senior thesis from fiction to non and that's saying something considering I've been planning for fiction these past three years! There was just something about the desolateness of the land and the inhabitants' reverence for it that makes you feel a connection to it as well.

I paired this book with a no nonsense but still wearable outfit perfect for tramping through the back country and lounging around by the wood burning stove in your log cabin. You may want to consider layering a thermal shirt under that floaty plaid number because autumn is fading and winter is almost here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment